The following is a list of magazines that pay writers $400 per article. Included is a wide variety of publications. For even more publishers, be sure to sign up for our email list. We’ll send you a weekly update of publishers that pay writers.
If you want to build a long term career as a freelance writer, I highly recommend reading this book.
1. Durango Magazine is a regional lifestyle magazine covering Durango, Colorado. They publish articles about the local region, culture, and history. Including outdoor activities, art, restaurants, and local businesses. They pay 50 cents per word, up to $1,000. To learn more, read their submission guidelines.
2. Vision Vocation Guide is the annual resource for dedicated Catholics interested in pursuing “something more” in their lives. Specifically, it is for people considering a vocation as a Catholic sister, brother, or priest. They pay $450 for articles 1k to 1.5k words, and $100 for reprints. To learn more, read their submission guidelines.
3. Southwest Fly Fishing is a regional fly fishing magazine for the Southwest, including California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, and Utah, and occasionally Mexico and Southern Wyoming. They pay $300 to $500 for features. To learn more, read their submission guidelines.
4. Eastern Fly Fishing publishes articles about fly fishing destinations in the Eastern half of North America, “from the Midwest to the Northeast to the Deep South, including the Caribbean and the eastern half of Canada.” They have a strong focus on photography. They pa $300 to $500 for features. To learn more, read their submission guidelines
5. PassageMaker Magazine covers all aspects trawlers and ocean motorboats. They focus on combining technical/informative information with personal experiences. They publish articles about the cruising lifestyle, boating, cruising destinations, news, and boats. They pay $300 to $950 for features. To learn more, read their submission guidelines.
6. AAA Midwest Traveler is the auto club’s magazine for Missouri, southern Illinois, southern Indiana, and Eastern Kansas. Published bi-monthly, they cover regional destinations, travel tips, news, and road safety. They pay $400 for a 1200 word feature. To learn more, read their submission guidelines.
7. The Pacific Standard is an award-winning magazine for “readers interested in working toward forward-looking changes to private behavior and public policy.” Their tagline is “stories that matter.” According to our research, payment ranges from $0.15 cents per word, up to $2 a word for established freelancers. Their editors can be contacted here.
8. Freedom With Writing (That’s Us!) is a website and email newsletter that publishes articles about paid writing opportunities. We also publish ebooks. Our focus is on helping writers get paid. Pay starts at $500 for ebooks, and $50 for other articles. To learn more, read our submission guidelines
9. The Washington Monthly is a bimonthly magazine covering politics, government, culture and the media. The vast majority of articles have a political focus. They pay 10 cents per word, up to 5k words. To learn more, read their submission guidelines.
10. MotorHome, the magazine for RV enthusiasts, covers all aspects of the RV lifestyle. According to their website “The easiest way to sell your work to MotorHome is to query us on an interesting and tightly focused motorhome story.” They pay up to $900 for feature articles. To learn more, read their submission guidelines